Indianola Port District
PORT COMMISSION MEETING
BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS
MEETING MINUTES OF THE INDIANOLA PORT DISTRICT BOARD OF PORT COMMISSIONERS, Tuesday, October 21, 2014 at 7:00 PM, INDIANOLA CLUBHOUSE 20446 INDIANOLA ROAD NE, INDIANOLA, WA 98342
Commissioners in attendance: Jeff Henderson, John Lane, Eric Cookson
Commissioner Absent: None
Port Auditor: Susan Henry (absent)
Recording Secretary: Jayne Larson
CALL TO ORDER Commissioner Henderson called the meeting to order at 7:02 PM
COMMISSIONER COMMENTS: Commissioner Comments is the time for Board members to present verbal reports and suggest future agenda items. NONE
CONSENT AGENDA ITEMS:
All matters listed within the Consent Agenda have been distributed to each member of the Commission for reading and study, are considered to be routine and will be enacted by one motion of the Commission with no separate discussion. If separate discussion is desired, that item may be removed from the Consent Agenda and placed on the Regular Agenda by a Commission member or by Citizen Request.
A. Meeting Minutes of the September 16, 2014 meeting – Commissioner Cookson moved to accept the minutes as submitted, Second by Commissioner Lane, passed unanimously.
B. Payables – Voucher 17103 to Quigg Bros., $169,464.20, to cover the second payment for the dock repairs. Commissioner Cookson moved to approve payment to Quigg Bros. Seconded by Commissioner Lane, passed unanimously.
OLD BUSINESS ITEMS – NONE
NEW BUSINESS ITEMS
A. Accounting Summary – Commissioner Henderson presented the Accounting Summary in Susan Henry’s absence. POI Net General Fund account balance of $86,437.59 as of September 30, 2014. A third and final payment will be made to Quigg Bros in November making the total cost for the dock repairs $252,836.20 which includes sales tax.
B. Preliminary Budget- Commissioner Henderson reviewed spreadsheet with 2014 expenses through September 2014 and anticipated expenses for October through December 2014. Changes in expenses forecasted for 2015 were discussed. The budget for 2015 was discussed and estimated for each line item expense in the 2014 budget.
1. Projected income for 2015 is $58,840.00 which includes the approved 1% levy increase. Notable changes and expenses for 2015 include $38,782.00 for debt service on the bond. This debt service is 66% of income which continues for 7 years.
2. Future maintenance requirements will require additional and significant funding outside of normal levy income. Grants are a possible resource but timing is unknown and funds would be required to prepare for grant application. Most grants require matching funds.
3. Commissioner Lane commented that the likely next phase of repairs would involve the head of the dock and the end of the dock. We should assume another $250,000.00 cost. In discussions with Quigg personnel, bents 5 and 6 and the end of the dock are the next critical work that need to be addressed.
4. Current repair permits valid for the next 2 ½ years and permits for this kind of work will likely become more difficult to obtain.
5. Consensus of the board is to investigate another bond for Phase 2 repairs as soon as possible.
6. Local fundraising will be used to replace decking. Commissioner Henderson will meet with Susan Hancock to discuss holding a fundraising meeting, notice in newspapers and the Indianola Breeze.
C. Discussion of design of Road End to Bents 5-6 – Connie Reckord outlined possible process steps to get the community to decide on a design:
1. Brainstorm ideas
2. Consolidate ideas and rank by priority
3. Gather ideas from other docks
4. Further discussions on details and priorities
5. Pinpoint first project
6. Identify costs
7. Schedule, dependent on project requirements
D. Comprehensive Plan – Commissioner Cookson reviewed the status of the Comprehensive Master Plan and after some additions for Parks and Rec, the plan will be ready to go. The plan is a necessary component for applying for any future grants.
E. Planning for the next phase of dock repairs – Commissioner Lane noted that a replacement program for the decking is needed. Cost is approximately $5.00 per board. Stringers under the decking may also need to be replaced.
F. Childs Handrail – an idea was received from the community that a lower handrail would be nice for small children using the stairway up and down from the dock to the beach. After some discussion, the commissioners decided that the handrail might be a candidate for a donation from the community or for fundraising.
G. Wrap-up Phase 1- Commissioner Henderson notes that Phase 1 has been completed and acknowledged the time, effort and talent of many members in the community that made it a success
H. Fundraising – Susan Hancock held a meeting and Commissioner Lane attended. Another meeting will be held. Some ideas put forward were to offer a plank owner donation, an auction fundraiser.
1. Commissioner Lane contacted WPPA to find out about the tax deduction status for donations to the Port. Donations will be deductible and POI would need to write and acknowledge the donation.
2. Another meeting will be held. Some ideas put forward were to offer plank ownership or an auction. The fundraising committee could also pursue grants.
3. The volunteer fundraising entity could be known as “Indianola Dock Foundation” with Susan Hancock in charge.
I. Kayaks need to be moved from underneath the dock – Notices need to be posted. Commissioner Lane will create signs prohibiting boats/kayaks under the dock. Note: IBIC is working with and Eagle Scout to build kayak rack.
J. Next Meeting – Tuesday, November 18, 2014 – Indianola Clubhouse 7:00 PM
OPEN TO PUBLIC COMMENT NONE
EXECUTIVE SESSION – NONE
ADJOURNMENT – Commissioner Lane moved to adjourn the meeting at 8:53 PM, Second by Commissioner Cookson, passed unanimously.
Commissioner, Jeff Henderson
Commissioner, Eric Cookson
Commissioner, John Lane
Recording Secretary, Jayne Larson
In accordance with the American with Disabilities Act, if you need special assistance to participate in this meeting please contact the Port of Indianola at (360) 779-8229. Notification 48 hours before the meeting will enable the Port of Indianola to make reasonable arrangements to ensure accessibility.